Friday, March 28, 2008

function vs. fun

In High school when I was 16 I took my first jewelry fabrication class.  This is the first piece that i ever made using fabrication techniques.

It is a box bracelet meant to store solid perfume.  I imagined wearing it during the hot summer.
One thing that was so wonderful about my awesome high school jewelry teacher Mr Gatto, was that he stressed design.  I actually made this bracelet in paper  first to see if  it would work.  
My parents bought me a small butane torch.  At my home I fabricated the rails for the lid to slide on and an invisible locking mechanism so that when the "lock," slides up it will stop at a certain point and not fall off.  I didn't have pickle at home so I took the flux covered pieces to school to clean them.
Although I loved the idea of having a piece of jewelry that was also a vessel for perfume I realized that the box on this particular bracelet was a bulky and therefore difficult to wear.  This realization created a considerable amount of frustration.  Since making this bracelet 14 years ago I try to balance fun design with wearability.  However, trying to think fun and function as I create new designs continues to be a challenge and sometimes fun wins out.  


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That ring is awesome. Such a cool concept! Thank you for sharing this with us :)

Sandy said...

Wow! The locking mechanism you created here is truly amazing!
I wish I had that kind of talent in high school!! wowzers!